Marcellus Shale

The potential for violence, conflict, and government upheaval arising from natural resource scarcity and a warming planet continues to catch the eye of America’s top spooks. “Competition for scarce resources, such as food, water, or energy, will likely increase tensions within and between states and could lead to more localized or regional conflicts, or exacerbate […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 

Drought Vast clouds of water vapor that typically flow from the Amazon rainforest to southern Brazil failed last year, possibly causing the severe drought that is afflicting cities like Sao Paulo, Climate News Network reported. Scientists believe that deforestation in the Amazon basin and climate change are to blame for stopping the flow of water […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 

The American shale gas boom is more than drilling pads and fracking fluids. New pipelines are sprouting as well. Williams Partners offers the latest entry in the race to funnel new supplies to market. The Tulsa, Oklahoma-based pipeline giant notified federal regulators earlier this month that it wants to begin field surveys for the $US […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 

Africa Water service, as well as electricity and phone service, has been cut in Timbuktu, the latest casualty of the ongoing conflict in Mali, CNN reported. The Azawad National Liberation Movement (MNLA), a group active in northern Mali that opposes the government, blamed the outages on “terrorist” sabotage. Following a devastating drought in 2009, pastoral […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 

Artificial nutrient runoff may be contributing to a population boom of destructive starfish in Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, The New York Times reported. The starfish accounted for 42 percent of the reef’s live coral decline since 1985, while cyclones and coral bleaching accounted for the remaining 58 percent, according to a new study from the […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 

Hydraulic fracturing for natural gas in Pennsylvania could put water supplies at risk, according to a new study published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The drought and heat in the major maize and soybean producing regions of the United States could drive up world food prices in the coming months, […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 

A new poll from Gallup asked people in 140 countries how satisfied they were with their air and water quality. The results, which you can find here, show that those in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are least satisfied with their water. Engineers have unveiled a way to clean water without using filters that […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 
River System

Ohio’s shale oil and gas fortunes point up.

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
Read more ...
 

How can the world feed 9.5 billion people, the projected global population in 2050? The Guardian looks at a mix of new, somewhat radical scientific solutions: commercial algae farms, insects, desert greening and meat grown in a lab. Modernising agricultural technology is the key to boosting China’s food output, according to China’s Premier Wen Jiabao, […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 

England experienced its driest spring in a century last month, leaving fields parched and many rivers at record low levels, the Guardian reported, citing the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology. Meanwhile, Scotland had its wettest spring on record for the period of March, April and May. Downpours in two of China’s drought-hit provinces have caused […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 

Tar sands development in northern Alberta, Canada, causes water pollution, increases greenhouse gas emissions and damages forests, according to a team of independent scientists commissioned to study the impacts of oil operations in the region. The northern Alberta oil sands are the largest source of oil outside the Middle East but are believed by many […]

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
 

States have begun implementing stricter standards for the controversial natural gas drilling process.

Help share our stories: submit to reddit
 
 
Read more ...